Anti-Mamta Cartoons Lands Professor in Jail

Friday, April 13th, 2012 | by

Professor Ambikesh Mahaptara of Jadavpur University was arrested this morning for forwarding derogatory cartoons about West Bengal Chief Minister Mamta Banerjee. The cartoons are based on Sonar Kella, the famed movie by Satyajit Ray, showing two peple in a dialogue. The mail forwarded by Professor Mahapatra allegedly shows Mamta Banerjee and Mukul Roy, Central Railway Minister of plotting together to get rid of former Railway Minister Dinesh Trivedi. The professor is supposed to have forwarded the mail to atleast 65 people. The incident has, however, brought in the notion that the Trinamool Congress Supremo is getting highly intolerant to any kind of criticism.

“Professor Ambikesh Mohapatra has been arrested for spreading derogatory messages against respectable persons,” said Sujoy Chanda, Deputy Commissioner of Kolkata, without divulging the names of those who are supposed to have been defamed. Subrata Sengupta, Professor Mahapatra’s neighbour has also been arrested.

In addition to the cartoons, it has also been alleged that Professor Mahapatra has mocked the government policies of Mamta Banerjee. reports state that in retaliation to this, he was attacked by workers of Trinammol Congress, as he returned home from work.

The chemistry professor has been taken to East Jadavpur Police station following his arrest from his residence at New Garia, South Kolkatta. He has been booked under Section 66 of Information Technology Act, 2000 and Section 500 of Indian Penal Code, which mounts up to punishment for defamation. Professor Mahapatra will be produced at Alipore court.

Professor Mahapatra’s arrest has triggered a spate of protests in the Jadavpur University campus. His colleagues and students have defended the professor’s action as democratic and a person’s individual right in expressing his views. Quite recently, a section of intellectuals from West Bengal who had campaigned for the Chief Minister for the state assembly elections of 2011, have started raising a hue and cry  against her dictatorial tendencies.

Short URL: http://indiawires.com/?p=9904

2 Responses to Anti-Mamta Cartoons Lands Professor in Jail

1. Shalu Sharma

This is absolutely crazy. What about freedom of speech. Creating cartoons is part of that freedom given to us by the constitution. 

2. Shirish Dave

Mamata Benerjee is arrogant and autocrat. The matter of cartoon is known to only 65 persons. Any body can talk anything to its contacts. It is a matter of liberty of thought. Suppose tomorrow science would discover an equipment that can read a thought, would he/she be termed guilty?